Tuesday, November 25, 2008

All the little things....

My thankful/grateful list is always different from the norm and what people are used to... but if you know me than you know that's me in a nut shell :) so why would this be any different right?

The last week and a half has made me so grateful that I have learned enough about myself to know when it's OK for me to react and when I need to put up my walls and go close myself in a room before I react. I don't think I've ever had so many issues and buttons pushed, throw in a couple very mean/rude people and no one can believe that I've been able to stay as outwardly (relatively) calm as I have THIS week. So that's a happy accomplishment for me. A year ago I probably wouldn't still have my job for the way I could have reacted plus I would have gotten kicked out of church!

It has also made me so grateful for my wonderful teaching companions. I don't know what I would do without Cindy and Anita. They are patient, kind, considerate, upbeat, a shoulder to cry on, friends to laugh with, and they are always building me up. We are never (that I can remember) condescending to one another, we finish each other's sentences, we have fun together, these two ladies would do anything for me, and I would do anything for them. I love them for helping me be the best I can be, having a positive attitude, and being my confidants when I need them to be. I couldn't have hand picked two better friends!

I am also grateful for girls nights out. These are really things that need to happen more often, we had such a great time! I'm so grateful for Wendy being my "mom for a day". We both really needed that. I'm grateful she thinks enough of me to even offer that. It was such fun to spend time with women I greatly enjoy doing "nothing of consequence".

I'm grateful for a couple amazing men that run the school. These two have no idea how much I have come to depend on them. I count on them coming in my classroom unannounced. I count on them pushing me to be the best teacher I can be. I LOVE teaching their kids (it honestly challenges me to do better (at least in my head)). I am constantly amazed at how much they do. I honestly feel like I wouldn't be the teacher I am today without their guidance, leadership, friendship, help, and support. We've had our rough times (especially them dealing with my stubborn personality) but I'm ever grateful for them not giving up on me and having seeming endless patience!

I am grateful for this particular bunch of first graders. They have come so far so fast. They are further ahead than any other group of children I have ever taught (and that only has a little to do with me). They are so willing to learn (even if sometimes they forget how to listen and follow directions and drive me crazy!) They are patient with me when I loose the math tests, they laugh at me when I'm frustrated and tongue tied reminding me to lighten up, they are so eager to learn more, and best of all they give the BEST hugs.

I am also grateful for one particular amazing lady that I know. She can do anything. We don't have to explain how we feel, even though we often do because we just "get" each other. We really are the same in so many ways. She's been my inspiration for keeping my cool and not killing (only figuratively I don't think I would ever actually cause anyone bodily harm) a great many of my co-workers this year. She's another one that has made my year so phenomenal. She's not only a great co-worker but my personal fashion designer, emotional advisor, and one of my dearest friends.

I'm also grateful for my blog... I know you may be thinking ...dumb...go ahead you don't have to agree. But honestly, without this thing I would have so many things bottled up inside me! I also wouldn't have a list of people whom I don't know personally, but LOVE them already through their blogs. It has opened up a new world to me. One where I don't feel lost on my own little island where no one could possibly know how I feel but where I feel a part of a group of people who share my feelings about life in general among a myriad of other topics.

Finally, I'm grateful for my family that I've "adopted" as my own. It is so nice to spend time with you knowing your not judging me on what I say or how I say it and that your not offended because you know me well enough to know that I would never do anything to hurt my friends and family! Thanks for sharing you, your house, your desserts, your kids, and most of all being there for me to share all the "juicy gossip" that we mostly make up for something to talk for hours about ;) You have no idea what a highlight you are in my day!


OK so I know I used the word finally up there, and my first graders will tell you that word means "the last thing" but please note that I am of course (and I say this on a daily basis) grateful for my husband, my family, my dear friends, the gospel, and the presence of God's tender mercies in my life. These people know me best, and love me anyway. I don't know where I would be if I didn't have each one of these things in my life.

Alright, Now I want to hear some of the "not so conventional" things you're grateful for!

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

I'm sorry you had to endure people being mean to you, but i'm glad that you know how to handle it. I don't know about you, but i could definitely tell that everyone at school was ready for a break! I hope you and Jon have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Bethany said...

I'm grateful for a warm pair of slippers on a cold winter day. I'm also grateful for getting into a car on a cold day after it has been sitting in the sun and is practically warm(can you tell that winter has officially hit Wisconsin?). I'm grateful for diversity and differing of opinions - it makes this world so much more interesting to live in.

Lindsay said...

We are indeed thankful for you and John. You guys are a great friends, teachers, and co-parents:). I could go on, but you get the picture. Just want to let you know that we would be lost without you. Thanks for everything.

Steph said...

Such a comprehensive and COMPLETE list! I really need to do this. I have been so NEGATIVE lately! We think you are the BOMB at our house (and Tuffy too)! Thanks for all you do! You and John are truly great people and we're glad to know ya!

SarahMarie said...

Even though we may have our ups and downs at school, I am really glad I met you. I am really glad we have gotten very close over the past few school years. Plus I need someone like you to help me blow things off and get a better picture of things. Happy Thanksgiving.

Jessi said...

I'm grateful for your blog too! I miss you so much and wish that I could get down there more. It's fun to be able to get a least a smattering of what's been going on with you on the blog to keep me updated!

I am also grateful for my ability to sleep on an airplane. I think that will be a saving grace for me as I head out on business trips the next two weeks!

Lee Family said...

I'm so grateful for you Erika. I'm glad John has you to love him and be there for him. I really miss not be able to see him and talk to him everyday, but I know he's ok because your there to look after him since I can't anymore, not that he really needed me too ;) I love you two more than you'll ever know. -Jenny